Knowing some of the usual home defects, home inspectors discover during an inspection allows you to be a well informed buyer. All In The Family Home Inspections has compiled a list of the top 10 home defects found in most homes. Being informed of these home defects could cost or save you thousands of dollars, depending upon whether your home inspector discovered these home defects during your inspection. Please contact us with any questions you may have regarding possible problems in your home.
Top 10 Home Defects | All in the Family Home Inspections
1. Leaking Polybutylene fresh water plumbing pipes visible inside the crawl space.
2. Defective hardboard siding. This is a moisture and installation related defect. Common brands of siding are North Carolina Pacific, Louisiana Pacific, and Masonite.
3. Cracked and blistering shingles allowing leaks visible inside the attic.
4. Defective ground fault circuit breaker interrupter (GFCI) outlets in bathrooms, kitchens, garages, and outside.
5. Visible open wire connections in the crawl space and/or attic.
6. Leaking or loosely mounted toilets.
7. Rotten floor joist and band joist at the front and rear door areas visible inside the crawl space.
8. Cracked or broken concrete block piers inside the crawl space.
9. Wet and damp crawl spaces.
10. Cracks in the furnace heat exchanger allowing carbon monoxide to filter inside the home.